Basketball icon Kobe Bryant died on Sunday in a helicopter crash, along with his 13-year-old daughter Gianna.
Here’s what happened:
- Fatal crash: Bryant and his daughter were among 9 people in the helicopter who died when it crashed into a hillside in Calabasas, California. Bryant and Gianna had been expected at the Mamba Sports Academy in Thousand Oaks for a basketball game.
- The other victims: Officials have not identified the victims, but some victims’ loved ones are coming forward. Tony Altobelli told CNN his brother, Orange Coast College baseball coach John Altobelli, John’s daughter Alyssa and wife Keri were killed in the crash. Christina Mauser, an assistant girls basketball coach at Harbor Day School, was also killed, her husband said.
- Bad flying weather: There was extremely low visibility at the time of the crash, with foggy, cloudy conditions. LA Police grounded its helicopters Sunday morning, and a police spokesperson said the weather conditions did not meet the minimum standards for flying.
- Ongoing investigation: The Federal Aviation Authority, National Transportation Safety Board, and FBI are investigating the crash.
- The world mourns: Bryant’s death sparked an outpouring of grief and tributes around the world — everyone from current and former NBA players, to fans worldwide and even former President Barack Obama.
Leave a comment
Get hot gist via Email